Friday, May 17, 2013

Primary

   The children's organization in the LDS church is called Primary.  I've been a part of the Primary since we very first moved here in late 2007.  I worked in the nursery class (childrens 18 months to 3 years) for about 4 years, and in January 2012 I was called to be Primary President, meaning I was the person who supervised all classes and programs for children up to age 12. 

I served with two counselors and a secretary, which had a few iterations as people moved.  First it was me, Helen, Lana, and Lapu.  Then Lapu left and Chanel joined us.  When Helen left, Donna took her spot.  All of these women have taught me about service, patience, and diligence.


I loved working in the Primary.  It was very busy, and I had to learn a lot.  I depended on the Lord for guidance and courage, and His grace "saved" me many times.  Mostly I loved being with the children.  They are so eager, innocent, sweet, and loving.    Even when they're difficult, they are precious.


 It's remarkable to me that so many amazing adults are willing to offer their time, talents, and energy to provide a loving environment for these children to learn about our Savior.  Positive relationships with caring adults will help these children to feel their Savior's love for them.


And in turn they will share His love with others around them.


Last Sunday was my last day as Primary president.  A new president was called, and she will be wonderful!

Now I feel a little like a deflated balloon.  My expanded capacity is now empty and I'm drifting aimlessly through space.  But I should enjoy that feeling because I know it won't last long.

Even though I've been extremely busy and stressed out over this last year by teaching first grade full-time, taking Masters classes in the evenings, trying to be a good mommy for our family, and facing the many challenges of life on this island, the Lord has steered me through the rough waters and given me many opportunities to pause and regain the eternal perspective that He provides.

1 comment:

Helen Monson said...

You are amazing. Great post. I know what you mean about drifting aimlessly. It really is a weird feeling not have too many responsibilities to juggle.
Love the last photo! Makes it seem like Sister Peters is the new Primary president! Wouldn't that be something! Can't wait to see you. Have fun at your lunch tomorrow.